FC3 Usability Problems

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Sun Jan 9 07:19:24 UTC 2005

On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 12:56:25AM -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> My menu items have nothing to do with windows - they start
> programs that live in filesystem folders.  I see no reason
> why that should be hidden from you. Or why starting the
> same program should be different depending on which
> window manager you are running today.

Why should I have to worry about which folder a program I want to run is
stored in? All I want to do is start the program -- I don't care about its
on-disk layout. When I start a program, (generally) a window pops up. So
starting a program _does_ have something logical to do with windows.

But the more important point in response to your earlier post is: there's
nothing particularly universal about your suggested paradigm. Not all
windowing environments (I assume we're not really talking strictly about
"window managers") normally have the concept of "icons on the desktop or in
folders". Some very nice ones, in fact, don't do that. Sure, you can run a
file manager/browser app that may have that feature -- just like you could
run a menu/launger panel.