how do I copy from server to server

Dave Mitchell davem at iabyn.com
Sun Jan 9 13:10:06 UTC 2005

On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 06:18:03PM +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-01-08 at 00:01, Matthew Crocker wrote:
> Can you explain why this doesn't work for me??
>
> tar -lcf - .  | ssh  -l root x.x.x.x  "tar -xvpf - -C
> /some/area"
>
> tar: Bad Option: -xf.
> Usage:  tar cmd [options] file1 ... filen
>
> Use     tar -help
> and     tar -xhelp
> to get a list of valid cmds and options.
>
> Use     tar H=help
> to get a list of valid archive header formats.
>
> Use     tar diffopts=help
> to get a list of valid diff options.

At a guess I'd say that the remote system is some strange OS that doesn't
recognise standard tar syntax. Do as it suggests ('tar -help') to find out
what its syntax is.

Also, I'd suggest adding the -B option (or it's equivalent) at the
receiving end.

--
This email is confidential, and now that you have read it you are legally
obliged to shoot yourself. Or shoot a lawyer, if you prefer. If you have