SMTP Authentication against database on separate POP/IMAP host

Paul R. Ganci ganci at
Sun Jan 9 17:18:21 UTC 2005

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

>Am So, den 09.01.2005 schrieb Paul R. Ganci um 16:32:
>Current MTAs use SASLv2 for authentication checks. So on the SMTP server
>- unfortunately you did not give any details about it - use the
>saslauthd, configured to use rimap as MECH and authentication against
>your IMAP server. See "man saslauthd" for details.
Thanks Alexander. This is exactly what I want to do. I am running
Sendmail 8.13.1 and have used SASL on the same system as the PAM
database. For some reason I put in my head I had to duplicate that
database to authenticate locally. I realize now that I was asking the
wrong questions when I did my Google searches. This solution should have
been obivous ... too many late nights I guess.

Paul (ganci at