FC3 Usability Problems

Per Nystrom centaur at netmagic.net
Sun Jan 9 18:01:18 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-09 at 08:05, William Hooper wrote:
> Per Nystrom said:
> > On Sat, 2005-01-08 at 18:56, Johnathan Bailes wrote:

> [snip]
> > Considering that this new menu bar takes up fully 5 times the horizontal
> > space that the old red hat icon did and yet it does basically the same
> > thing, I think "colossal waste of space" is a fair way to describe it.
> >
> > To really pick nits: the most space it should require to get exactly the
> > same functionality as with the new "Custom Menu Bar" would be for two icons
> > that expand into "Applications" and "Actions" menus.
>
> Let me rephrase the question, what would you gain back if the text were
> removed?  More empty space to add to all that space in the middle?

Yes, more empty space into which I can put my own launchers, system
monitor, window list, etc.  And because of that extra empty space, I can
put everything I want onto a single panel instead of needing two.  The
screenshots I put up only show the default desktop out of the box; not
the way it looks once I've customized it to my liking.  I'm sorry if
that wasn't clear.