Fwd: urgent pc wont load

jim lawrence fedorajim at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 23:38:30 UTC 2005

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 17:51:05 -0500, Phil Schaffner
<P.R.Schaffner at ieee.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-01-09 at 13:14 -0500, jim lawrence wrote:

> > > So it does not find stage 2.

> > > What is the content of your grub.conf?
> > > What does "fdisk -l" print out?
> > >
> > > Alexander
> > device      boot    start   end    blocks   id system
> > dev.hda1     *        1        1275                7   ntfs
> > dev/hda2               1276  1288              83  linux
>
> This could be the problem.  Some old BIOSs can't access beyond cylinder
> 1024.  See http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux/grub-w2k-HOWTO.html
>
> I'd create a ~102MB /boot as /dev/hda1.  Should be able to change things
> around with parted or Partition Magic, or start fresh and repartition
> with fdisk or disk druid.
>
> > dev.hda3               1289   2498              f     W95 Ext'd  (LBA)
> > dev/hda5               1289   1416             82   Linux Swap
> > dev/hda6               1417    2498            83   linux
> >
> > my question is where is the boot partition i created, and where id hda4  ?
>
> My guess is that the /boot partition is /dev/hda2.  / is on hda6.  You
> have no hda4 since you created 2 primary partitions and hda3 as the
> extended partition, as another poster has explained since I started this
> then had to pick up a kid.  Could have gotten away with just 4 primary
> partitions for this setup.
>
> Is there only one disk?  Later message in this thread shows
>
>         kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=label=/1 rhgb quiet
>
> which would indicate another / (root) partition.
>
> > if i need to reinstall
> > i have a win98 boot floppy   could i do
> >
> > fdisk /mbr
>
> If nothing else works, that - or XP recovery - should get your Windoze
> back.
>
> Phil

it was my brothers PC  that dhis wife uses for the most of the time,
so i have as of now booting directly to winblows.  there is a second
hard drive but none of that drive was touched. that i'm aware of.  i
usually pay pretty close attention to the disk druid portion of the
set up. My brother decided that he is going to get a new PC to use for
linux so i'll wait til he gets the parts so i can put it together for
him  thanks for the help folks.  :)
--

Still Learning Linux
Still HaTE Microsoft