Touchpad Problem

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Jan 10 01:31:13 UTC 2005

Oliver Mentz wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have been running a clarkconnect server for a couple months now and
> thought that i would install fedora on a new laptop I have bought for
> developing. I have been trying to set this up and can get fedora
> installed however the touch pad will only work if a usb mouse is also
> plugged in while the machine is booting. I have made sure that the
> synaptic driver is installed and also tried it as a generic ps2 mouse.
> The touch pad works on the windows xp pro os that i am dual booting
> with. My laptop is an fujitsu-siemens amilo pro 7010. I'm hoping to
> stick with fedora as a distrobution because that is what my other
> linux system runs on. does anyone have any suggestions on fixing my
> problem? if you need me to put any config data on the web let me know
> and i'll host it at http://31770.pointclark.net
>
> Thank you for your time,
>
> Oliver Mentz

You might backup your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and run
system-config-display --reconfig
without the usb mouse attached. The program should set up the synaptics
driver for the mouse correctly.

Also, you might add  psmouse.resetafter=3 to your grub.conf file to see
if it helps out any before trying to reconfigure X.

No idea if these actions will lead to a solution or not. I have not
attached a usb mouse to my system. I do have a working synaptics mousepad.

You might run system-config-mouse with X not up ( runlevel 3). I
selected a ps2 type of mouse, saved the configuration, then ran
system-config-mouse again and selected synaptics and saved the
configuration. My mouse worked fine after the second reconfiguration for
the console and for X. Before the windows(tm) type of tactic, I had no
mouse for either console or X.

Jim

--
The Roman Rule:
	The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the