Fedora installer - RAM detection

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Mon Jan 10 01:37:09 UTC 2005

On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 06:46:43PM +0000, Jon Masters wrote:
> I wanted to install an FC3 box for random kernel testing, not for
> actual use. I don't care that it only has 32MB of RAM, but FC3 does.
> What I want is a way to tell the installed "ignore that", as I am
> happy for it to swap until the cows come home, just to install. Is
> there currently the right way to do this before I break it anyway?

I tried this with an earlier release -- trying to install on a Pentium
subnotebook with 32MB. I changed the installer to ignore the limit. Guess
what? The cows _never_ came home -- in the virtual terminal with a shell
while installing (ctrl-alt-f2), I ran something like "while true; do uptime;
sleep 60; done", and it started taking longer and longer between each time
it succesfully ran uptime -- I finally stopped it after it took a dozen
hours to complete the loop.