Linux Word Processors

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon Jan 10 06:32:08 UTC 2005

> On Tue, 2004-12-21 at 08:38 -0500, Ryan D'Baisse wrote:
> > I'm trying to find a professional word processor for Linux without
> > using Crossover or Wine. [...] I am downloading StarOffice v7.0
> from
> > Sun's site, at the moment, but do not know of a single person who
> is
> > using it.

I would really recommend looking at AbiWord.
The current version in FC3 is actually one major release old, but the
real current version is in Rawhide and I think it is very very good.

Star/Open Office - I never really liked them, they are slow at startup
(still) and have a lot of code in them - which itself isn't
automatically bad, but it makes things a little harder to fix when
stuff breaks - it took a lot of effort to get cut-n-paste working on
the PPC platform for example.

If you think for some reason that AbiWord can not do what you need that
you think is "Proffesional" bring it up on the AbiWord list - I've seen
a lot of complaints there that AbiWord actually does just fine, but the
opinion was based upon either user error, or an old version of AbiWord.

I've also seen complaints that are legitimate resolved fairly quickly
on that list (of course if it is legitimate, it is actually done
through bugzilla and not the user list, but it usually hits the user
list first)

As far as spreadsheet goes - I know that's not what was asked, but
Gnumeric is very very very good. There also was just recently a major
update for that, again the rawhide version works in fc3.

(you may have to rebuild rawhide src.rpm - that's what I did, but the
rpm's may just work without rebuild of rawhide src.rpm - I did not try
- I just habitually rebuild rawhide src.rpm's in fc3 when I want newer
than fc3)