Only One Sound Ouput Channel (Headphone)?

Pete Toscano pete-fedora at verisignlabs.com
Mon Jan 10 15:23:15 UTC 2005

Hello,

I recently got a Dell Optiplex gx280 and installed FC3 on it.  Almost
everything went smoothly, but I'm seeing some weirdness with the sound
out.  Both the out in the back and the headphone out in the front seem
to be controlled by the headphone output of ALSA.  Whichever one my
speakers are plugged into, only the headphone channel in the ALSA mixer
affects the sound.  I can even mute the master channel and still not
affect the sound levels.

A.  Did I do something weird or is this a known issue with these Dells?

B.  How to I tell ALSA to use the "headphone" channel as the master so
that GNOME volume controls work as expected?

Thanks,
pete