IS FC3 stable?

Pete pete at surfusa.net
Mon Jan 10 23:12:25 UTC 2005

Les Mikesell wrote:

>On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 16:31, Pete wrote:
>

>>>But, I have to ask: if you want something that works with the
>>>default install, why are you using Cyrus instead of Dovecot?
>>>

>>Les, I'm sorry, but the configuration involved requires more than adding
>>users to sasl and cyradm.
>>

>Cyrus was developed in it's own world, nothing at all like current
>unix and was intentionally designed to have it's own management
>concepts, users, and adminstrators separate from those of the OS.
>That means you should expect to learn different configuration
>techniques for it than anything else and that it can't possibly
>work from a fresh install because it doesn't relate to anything
>you did during the Linux installation.  If you like that or you
>have enough users that the efficiency matters, Cyrus is a good
>choice. If you don't, there are other choices available for
>Linux.
>

>>Also, does dovecot handle pop?
>>

>Yes, if you want it to, or you can run another pop program.
>

>>Have you guys
>>seen the front-end for Samba, very nice and clean, although yes it has
>>some things that aren't working also, but it's very easy to configure
>>Samba, no editting files, no running make by hand, is it too much to
>>expect that from Cyrus?
>>

>You might note that the samba front end is really a separate program
>and there are other choices like webmin that you can use if you
>have a problem with a text editor.  Likewise there are an assortment
>of tools to help manage Cyrus if you look around:
>http://www.hurrikane.de/en/mx/mailadmin/overview.html
>looks promising, and it's not the only choice.
>

>> I think not.  I suspect that if you're in the
>>"industry", you'd know it doesn't matter how well the software works, if
>>you can't configure it easily.
>>

>I've been in the industry since before GUI's were invented and I
>still can't figure out why people like to have most of their
>options hidden behind a dozen tabs with obscure names when a
>text editor with a search feature will let you find and change
>anything in seconds without having to wade through a dozen screen
>shots in a HOWTO to figure out how to get there.
>
>I do see a problem with most programs in that a syntax error or
>simple typo in a configuration file will often crash the program
>where a form-based entry system can make sure your choices are
>at least syntactically correct, so I don't completely disagree
>with what you are saying, but the mainstream programs already
>have a webmin module and/or independent administration utilities.

I agree Cyrus is different, and not necessarily in a bad way.  But I
would still like to see a bit more supporting doc's if it's included in
the distro.  And I love vi, it's just not having to remember the options
and configuration parameters to hundreds of programs that I don't like.
Even a partial front-end is often all one needs to configure and
implement a new package.  I also don't really mind editing files, if I
know after I'm done it's all going to work.  Front-end's usually make
that process a bit easier.  I remember the days of Xenix and Unix, and I
don't long for the days when everything was done through vi.  It's
called progress.  And as I often say to the Linux newcomers, I was into
Linux before it was cool, lol, I just have better things to do than edit
6 or 7 files.  And thanks for the pointer for Dovecot, that might fit my
needs better.  I was distressed to see my pop3 server from RH9 was gone,
and dovecot doesn't really say 'POP SERVER' to me, so I over-looked it.