the clean way to autoload modules

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Mon Jan 10 23:43:06 UTC 2005

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Mi, den 05.01.2005 schrieb Rakotomandimby (R12y) Mihamina um 21:11:
>

>>I have to load the via-rhine module at each boot.
>>I would like to know if Fedora has a special way to do it (a way that
>>obsoletes modules.conf).
>

> It is still the same: the alias entry for each ethernet device in the
> modprob.conf will cause the module load once the network is started and
> thus the ethernet device set up.
>
> $ cat /etc/modprobe.conf
> alias eth0 via-rhine

You could re-build your kernel to include the via-rhine module as a part
of the kernel, but you'd still have to initialize it right.  In the case
of your ethernet driver, its probably straightforward enough to just
work for you.  In the case of some of the more "complicated"
modprobe.conf entries (like sound cards), it might take some more work
(which is probably better left to the modprobe.conf mechanism).

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net