Opinion: Best VPN to use with Fedora/Windows

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Tue Jan 11 00:11:02 UTC 2005

Kevin Fries wrote:
> OK, maybe I am simplifying things a bit more than I should be, so let me
> ask:
>
> My conceptual understanding of VPN was that computerA needs access to
> NetworkB as if it were located on the physical network even though it is
> somewhere else.

That's one option.

The one we mainly use at work looks like this:

Main Site                            Remote Site
192.168.1.0      <--- VPN --->       192.168.2.0

Essentially, we have a conventional routed network. It's just that the
traffic goes over an encrypted channel.

We used to do this over a leased line, a "private network" (as opposed
to the public Internet).

Now we use encryption, encapsulation, and the Internet to achieve the
same effect. It's a virtual "private network".

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james |     The other shamans laughed at Norgle's Balloon
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | Animal totem, but he'd show 'em!  He'd show 'em all!