proper way to write changes in grub.conf

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Jan 11 00:44:51 UTC 2005

On Monday 10 January 2005 13:04, John Aldrich wrote:
>Is there a nice GUI or something to help me make sure I don't screw
> up my grub.conf? I'm trying to make my mouse work better with my
> KVM and have edited the grub.conf to add the "psmouse.proto=imps"
> to the end of the kernel line, and have saved it, but I don't know
> how to properly write it to the system. I know if it were LILO, I'd
> just run "/sbin/lilo" as root and it would be updated, however,
> just running "/sbin/grub" asks for more options, that I haven't got
> a clue about!
> Thanks
> John

Its not nessessary to do anything other than edit the grub.conf, it is
read at boot time.  And if you do foul it somehow, you can always hit
the key to bring up the editor and edit it if whatever you appended
to it doesn't work.

I keep about 17 different boots available, if for no other reason than
to test something historical when I'm having an unusual problem.  The
last one of course is a dos boot, but generally its very difficult to
actually make it non-bootable.  I think the only time that hit me,
I'd asked it from some video mode that my ATI card didn't recognise.
Then it was just a matter of the 3 finger salute, and fix it on the
next loop.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)