Problems with new kernel and USB memory key

Andreas M. Kirchwitz fedora-list at list.zikzak.de
Tue Jan 11 12:44:47 UTC 2005

Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists at uni-x.org> wrote:

 > What I got when first booting with the new 2.6.10 FC2 kernel was an
 > error message saying that "usbdevfs" is not supported. On a second
 > reboot last night I didn't see the same error because RHGB was active
 > again - although RHGB started in "error mode", not showing the computer
 > icon but the detail view. As the USB error was so early during bootup it
 > did not appear in this detailed RHGB view. I will have to reboot later
 > to find the exact string of the USB error message.

The line "mount -t usbdevfs usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb"
in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit works with kernel 2.6.9-1.11_FC2,
but fails in 2.6.10-1.8_FC2.

According to the linux-kernel mailing list, the name "usbdevfs"
has been obsoleted some years ago, and support was finally
dropped in kernel 2.6.10. It's now called "usbfs". But that's
just what other people say ... I don't know if it's all true.

However, "mount -t usbfs usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb" and
"mount -t usbfs usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb" work fine
(of course, not at the same time ;-)

But I don't know which one I should use now.
What is expected by Fedora Core 2?

	Greetings, Andreas