FC3: Metacity and binding Internet/Application Keys

RoboticGolem roboticgolem at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 13:52:14 UTC 2005

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 17:16:15 +0000, Michael Hoffman
<hoffman+fedora at ebi.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi, I am using Fedora Core 3 and Metacity 2.8.6 with an HP keyboard
> that has eight "Internet/Application" keys at the top. When I was
> using RHL 9 I could bind these to Metacity keybinding_commands to do
> various things, like open a new terminal window. Now, however, I can
> assign these keys to some things that are settable in
> gnome-keybinding-properties, like "Launch web browser" but not others
> like "Switch to workspace 4" and certainly not the run_command_2,
> etc. in gconf-editor. Using gnome-keybinding-properties it reports
> that the names of the keys are:
>
> 0x99 0xe9 0xa6 0xea 0x9e 0x9f 0x97 0xec
>
> Please let me know if you have any suggestions. All help will be
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Michael Hoffman <hoffman at ebi.ac.uk>
> European Bioinformatics Institute
>
> --

You want EVrouter:  http://www.bedroomlan.org/~alexios/coding_evrouter.html
I'm using it for my "internet/application" keys and it works great.  I
even have a usb numberpad tied to it so I have an extra 18 buttons to
launch thing/tie stuff to.  It would be real easy to tie your Switch
one desktop right to an exotic keypress like ctrl+shift+alt+right and
then tie that keypress to one of the codes at the top of your
keyboard.  I had evrouter set up in under 15min and have been adding
events to it since.  You can even have it use special settings for
different windows.  *shrug*

Hope it helps,
Matt