Install FC3 with 2.6.10

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Jan 12 02:26:57 UTC 2005

Ryan D'Baisse wrote:

> Okay, let me see if I understand this correctly.  I want to do a fresh
> install.  If I just pull down everything that exists on the "Updates"
> page of the Fedora site, and stick them on a CD, will that be
> adequate?  If so, will yum pull from the CD if I do not have a
> connection?
>
> Thanx,
> Ryan

I know that up2date can be configured to use a local directory to
install/upgrade from. U2date is the tool that I use mostly.

<excerpt from /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources for up2date>
### A local directory full of packages (a "dir" repo). For example:
#dir my-favorite-rpms /var/spool/RPMS/

I'm not too familiar with yum. I am not sure if it needs a tool run on
the local storage directory or not for local sources. I ran createrepo
or a similar named tool once before the new styled repo information
files were actually being used. I did not actually use the local repo
that was created.

I think that the idea would work and am not sure if the additional CD's
option during install would use these RPMS or not to bypass having to
install the older packages or not. This would be a nice improvement for
bypassing broken X, lost internet or any other possible problems that
have been fixed since the introduction of the release.

Jim

--
Your job is being a professor and researcher: That's one hell of a good
excuse