FC3: kernel-i586 vs. i686

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Wed Jan 12 13:42:32 UTC 2005

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005, Dave Jones wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 08:48:39PM -0600, Erich Noll wrote:
>
>  > rpm -Uv  kernel-2.6.10-1.737_FC3.i686.rpm
>
> Don't do this.  Always rpm -i kernel rpm's, as using -U can
> really break things badly if something goes wrong.

This problem is a bit different than usual, as the packages have the same
release/version numbers.

>  > , but it complained about 3 files belonging to
>  > kernel-2.6.10-1.737_FC3.i586.rpm that I had previously installed.  If it
>  > would help I could get the names of the files but I suspect they're not
>  > germane.  I also tried rpm -iv but it complained about the same 3
>  > dependent files from the i586 rpm.
>  >
>  > Finally, I tried to rpm -e  kernel-2.6.10-1.737_FC3.i586.rpm but it
>  > complained about (approximately 10) dependent rpms that I presumably
>  > would have had to -e then -i.
>  >
>  > Would there be any (performance?) advantage to installing the i686
>  > kernel rpm or is rpm trying to prevent me from stupidly harming the
>  > correct configuration?  If there would be some advantage to getting the
>  > i686 kernel on the machine, how do I go about doing it safely?
>
> A Pentium II should be using the 686 kernel.  If you had updated
> using yum or up2date, it would have done all this automatically
> for you the correct way.

But this doesn't really help him out of his jam...

This is exactly the moment (and almost the only moment) to use "rpm
--force".  Boot to an older kernel (you do have an older kernel installed,
don't you?), then "rpm -Uvh --force kernel-2.6.10-1.737_FC3.i686.rpm".
Then reboot to the updated kernel.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences