fc2 - IBM x340 Installation locks

Shannon McMackin mcmackin at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 12 17:18:07 UTC 2005

jon wyatt wrote:
> I'm trying to install fc2 on an IBM eServer x340-8656.
> The Boot cd runs OK and I'm prompted whether to go for a graphical or text
> installation. Either of these choices starts the load of the appropriate
> installation software. A SCSI driver is loaded at one point and then the screen
> fills with corrupted text, I'm told an error has occurred with the installation
> and the installation hangs, usually with a message 'You may now reboot your system'
>
> Any ideas?
>
> I've installed windows on this box recently to confirm it was working but for
> that we had to use specific SCSI drivers, I'm not sure if they'd be required or
> in built to the fedora core. I know the fc2 disks are good as we use them on a
> regular basis to build machines.
>
> might I need to find the appropriate scsi drivers somewhere?
>
> Thanks,
> Jon.

Do you have an IBM ServeRAID card installed in the x340 or are you
running the onboard SCSI which should be an Adaptec AIC7xxx?  The
ServeRAID card requires the IPS driver.  This should be in FC2 as I did
an install on a 3rd generation of the x340, the x346 and it loaded the
IPS driver, so it's in the distro.

You may want to issue something like this:

linux text expert acpi=off

You may be suffering from USB issues...

Shannon