Palm, Fedora Core 3 and Jpilot

Robert Hart hartr at interweft.com.au
Wed Jan 12 22:20:18 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 09:03 -0700, Guy Fraser wrote:
> The proper way to do it is to change the permission
> settings back to the way they were, and add your
> username to group uucp. Doing it that way allows
> the system to be used by different users.

Hmm - I have changed nothing - the system set these up for me!

> > [root at bree dev]# ls -l | grep -y usb
> > lrwxrwxrwx   1 root  root        7 Jan 12 20:45 pilot -> ttyUSB1
> > crw-rw----   1 root  uucp 188,   0 Jan 12 20:45 ttyUSB0
> > crw-------   1 hartr uucp 188,   1 Jan 12 20:45 ttyUSB1
> >

> That should be :
> crw-rw----   1 root  uucp 188,...
>
> As you can see group uucp has read/write permission.
>
> Anytime you need access to a device that has group
> read/write, add your username to that group rather
> than mess with the permissions.

Yup - quite happy with how user/groups operate (have been running Linux
sine 1993), but I have not changed anything from the way the system sets
things up, except to add /etc/udev/rules.d/10-visor.rules as previously
mentioned.

As you can see, the Palm is picked up on USB0 and USB1, but the two
'created on the fly' ports are created differently - one ends up being
owned by me and the other by root/uucp.

Now - I've just realised that the Jpilot error message is occurring as
soon as I tell it to synch with my Pilot (on port /dev/pilot) - which is
quite reasonable as that port does not exist until it's created on the
fly and linked to the newly created /dev/ttyUSB1 by the new hardware
subsystem.

This presents a real problem - so (after adding hartr to the uucp group)
I tried setting Jpilot to look at /dev/ttyUSB1 - but still no synch.

Is there anyone here who has successfully used Jpilot and FC3 to synch
with their Palm Pilot.

(btw - I can't get the Gnome Pilot set up to work either...)

Sigh - this is a show stopper for me as I absolutely depend on my Palm!

Robert Hart                                      hartr at interweft.com.au
+61 (0)438 385 533
Brisbane, Australia                        http://www.hart.wattle.id.au