YUM is failing, even after importing GPG keys

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Jan 13 12:09:53 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 06:50 -0500, A. Rick Anderson wrote:
> Paul Howarth wrote:

> > > 	Apparently you added kde-redhat to the yum.conf. You'll also need a GPG
> > > key for that.
> > >
> > > 	You'll note that it says kde-redhat in the error message, too.
> > >

> > And I guess that gpg checking is turned back on for that repo in your
> > yum.conf (or yum.repos.d/kde-redhat.repo) file, since you've turned off
> > gpg checking by default as you mentioned earlier.
> >
> > A better option would of course to be to import the kde-redhat gpg key
> > and turn on gpg checks for *all* repos.
> >
> > # rpm --import http://kde-redhat.sourceforge.net/gpg-pubkey-
> > ff6382fa-3e1ab2ca
> >
> > Paul.
> >
> Thank-you.
>
> That solved the problem perfectly.  Now I am baffled as to how you
> figured that out.  I did a grep on my /etc/yum.conf file, and while
> *kde-redhat* was found in the the error message, *kde-redhat* is NOT
> present in my /etc/yum.conf or the error message.

Traditionally (i.e. yum < 2.1.x), all yum repositories were configured
in /etc/yum.conf. However, with FC3 comes yum 2.1.x and a new, more
flexible way of handling repositories, which is by adding a file per
repository in /etc/yum.repos.d. The Fedora FAQ still uses the older
style "big yum.conf file" as an example, but that doesn't mean that
repositories can't be added in /etc/yum.repos.d too.

Now, the error message you were getting specifically stated that (a) the
failing repositories were kde-redhat, and (b) that the failing GPG key
was "key ID ff6382fa".

So, off I went to the kde-redhat site at http://kde-
redhat.sourceforge.net/. On that page it says that for FC3 you should
"Download kde-redhat.repo and drop it in /etc/yum.repos.d/". That file
has gpgcheck=1 in it. So that would explain (a) how come you were using
kde-redhat repos when you didn't mention them in your yum.conf, and (b)
why it still wanted the GPG key even though you had turned off GPG
checking in yum.conf. Moreover, the kde-redhat site also says "All kde-
redhat RPMS have been gpg signed. To allow rpm to check this signature
on installing any packages, you'll need to download and install gpg-
pubkey-ff6382fa-3e1ab2ca". Since that key ID matches the one your yum
was complaining about, that confirmed my suspicions.

Elementary! ;-)

I trust you've now turned GPG checking back on in yum.conf?

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>