ATI mach64 resolution?

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Thu Jan 13 17:22:18 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 11:13 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Shouldn't an ATI Rage Pro with 4 Megs on board be able to do 1280x768
> resolution?  The highest I can get the display setup GUI to offer
> is 1152x864 which seems like an odd setting?

Normal screen resolutions have a 4:3 proportion. 1152x864 is a normal
resolution, just like 800x600 and 640x480. All of those are 4:3.

The resolution you suggest (1280x768) is a wide-screen resolution with
5:3 proportions. I've never seen a display with those proportions, but
if you actually have a screen that will display such a resolution then
yes, a 4MB display should be able to drive that resolution with at least
16-bit color.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>