kernel recognizing large (> 2.1 TB) block devices ?

Randall A. Jones rajones at svs.gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Jan 13 18:08:37 UTC 2005

This SCSI card is an Adaptec 39160.
The RAID is a Nexsan ATABoy2 with a SCSI interface.
It seems that the driver recognizes the need and is trying to use the
READ(16) command but that it is failing.
from log:

sdc : very big device. try to use READ CAPACITY(16).
sdc : READ CAPACITY(16) failed.

I'm assuming the Nexsan device will work correctly given a capable controller and OS/driver.
It has a special mode that allows >2.1TB LUNs to be created.  The default system config only allows for
2199023 MB LUNs (~2.1TB).
Nexsan engineers don't have a firm answer for me on this issue.  They are not aware of any of their customers using a LUN this large on their device but they say it should work given a capable system.

I can put a Fiberchannel controller in the ATABoy2 RAID unit.  Then connect to a Fiberchannel HBA on the server.  Is it possible that there is a capable FC HBA that can do SCSI-3 and 16byte SCSI commands properly to handle the large device?
I have a QLogic 2342 HBA on hand and the specs for the card state that it has "SCSI-3 Fibre Channel Protocol (SCSI-FCP)" "compliance".  Is it possible this will work?

I've heard that LSI might have a similar capability.

Thanks for the info and discussion.

Randall

--
..:.::::
Randall Jones     GST      NASA Goddard Space Flight Center