Nervious wannabe new user asks for advice.

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Thu Jan 13 20:00:51 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 13:46, Richard S. Crawford wrote:
> Maxim Eremeev said:
> > BTW, why not just give it a try by dual boot installation (I mean
> > Windows and Fedora)?
>
> Dual-booting Windows and FC3 is notoriously problematic.  The user would
> do well to read up on the geometry issues that come up before doing a
> dual-boot; as far as I know, the bug is still present in FC3.

Personally I believe dual booting causes more problems for the user than
it is really worth.  Kind of like trying to learn to swim by sticking
just one foot in the water.  Just can't do it.

People that want to convert over to using linux would be better served
by first evaluating just what they use the computer for.  For example:
web browsing (java, flash, etc), writing documents (word, spread
sheets), palm pilots synching, mp3 playing, video editing, whatever.
Make as complete a list as possible.  Then do some research (google) to
find equivalent capabilities in native linux applications.

Armed with that list load a system with linux and start working at
getting all those same capabilities working that you had under windows.

I loaded FC2 on my laptop which used to have windows 2000 on it.  Wiped
it clean for FC2.  At present I have all the same functionality plus
some that I did under windows 2000 on my laptop.

Doing duel boot or even using wine just holds back the user IMHO and can
cause more questions and problems than it is worth.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.
		-- Oscar Wilde