should i bother??

O'Neill, Donald (US - Deerfield) dooneill at deloitte.com
Thu Jan 13 20:44:07 UTC 2005

Since this is a home user, I'll ponder your advice with a grain of salt.
If the user upgrades and everything works perfectly, then fine, it's a
worthy task. But with all the kernel upgrades causing problems in this
and other mailing lists, disruption of service (availability) is a
fundamental principle of security. In effect, you've just caused
something your trying to prevent.

Each scenario is different, if this particular user has no open services
available on this box, the possibility of someone compromising the
system are insignificant. Properly configured security layers prevent
this from happening in the first place.

In the enterprise environment, updates/changes break things very easily
and unless you don't care about service delivery, this would not be a
good idea..