ATI mach64 resolution?

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Thu Jan 13 20:57:28 UTC 2005

Kenny Gow wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 13:45, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
>>

>>> Check the settings for monitor.  You probably have your monitor set
>>> to "generic" or something incorect.  You will be shown only
>>> resolutions that both your graphics card *and* monitor support.  If
>>> you are using Gnome, try selecting "System Settings -> Display" from
>>> GNOME menues, than click on "Hardware" tab (I guess this is the same
>>> GUI you already used).  If your monitor is not listed, just select
>>> one from the "Generic CRT" or "Generic LCD" lists (in your case
>>> 1280x1024 one, I guess).
>>

>> No: if I go to 256 colors it will go higher, but not at 'thousands of
>> colors'.
>

> You may need to set the correct VideoRam option
> in your xorg.conf. See "man xorg.conf". I've had to do
> this since the install detects the wrong amount of video ram
> on my video card.

Hm, I have mach64 with 4MB of RAM too (ATI 3D Rage IIc), but never
attempted to set resolution that high (17" monitor, and my eyes are not
in the shape they used to be).

So I said, let try it out...

Unlike you, I can select 1280x1024 in 16bit mode (thousands of colours),
but not in 24/32-bit modes (millions of colours).  Looking at the
/var/log/Xorg.0.log, ATI driver reports correct amount of RAM (4096kB),
but reports that there's not enough memory for 1280x1024 mode (look for
'insufficient memory for mode' string in log file).  This is correct for
32bpp (that would require just over 5MB), however it should be able to
do it in 24bpp (just under 4MB) which is the mode selected in Screen
section of xorg.conf.

Some lines down the log file, there's this:

    Depth 24 pixmap format is 32 bpp

Hm, does that mean that ATI driver is placing card into 32bpp when 24bpp
is selected in configuration file?  I kind of remember this card being
faster in 32bpp mode than 24bpp mode under Windows, so it might be the
reason (on the other hand, it should be up to the user to make dicision
between performance and screen resolution, not the driver upgrading it
from 24 to 32 on the fly).