Which processes doi Really Need

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Thu Jan 13 21:54:12 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 16:02 -0500, Charles E Taylor IV wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 14:43:47 -0600
> Les Mikesell <les at futuresource.com> wrote:
>
> > I don't think I have a machine that doesn't email notifications of
> > one sort or another to me.  How do you know if your cron jobs are
> > failing?
>
> On the other hand, the original poster is talking about a notebook
> computer.  Do most notebook users really run that many cron jobs?

YES. (Maybe no customized ones, but just look at /etc/crontab to see
what runs by default.)
Also, many use the laptop as their primary PC and as such it may be used
many hours a day.  Cron is a blessing.

Logrotate runs weekly and logwatch runs daily (as well as many others in
cron.daily, cron.weekly, etc.)

If logrotate does not run the log files will never get rotated and
eventually the size gets astronomical.

If sendmail (or some other MTA) is not running then you would never get
notifications of the logwatch output, or any other cron job results.