GNOME panel disappears

Colin Paul Adams colin at colina.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 14 07:05:38 UTC 2005

My GNOME panels have disappeared (I have a second one I created long
ago).
I am running FC3.
This has happened before, fairly recently. On that occasion, I tried
logging off (by restarting the X server with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace) and
logging on again. When this happened, I got about 5 dialog boxes all
saying the same thing - something like "I have detected another panel
running - exiting".
So I re-booted the machine (incidentally, when I do this now with the
reboot command, the machine shuts down as far as "Restarting the
system" but then does not restart - I have to hit the reset switch in
my system unit) and all was well.

This time, after trying to restart the X server, with the same results
as before, I tried telinit 3 followed by telinit 5 to try to avoid a
re-boot - this time I did not get the dialog boxes, but still no
panel.
Then I re-booted, but this time I still do not have any GNOME panels.
Help.!
--
Colin Paul Adams
Preston Lancashire