Moving a PostgreSQL database from one server to another

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Fri Jan 14 15:19:18 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 18:59 -0500, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> Since pg_dumpall reads tables from all databases you will  most  likely
> have  to connect as a database superuser in order to produce a complete
> dump.

I think you would be correct. However, in this case I'm only trying to
dump *one* database with "pg_dump". The user owns the database, so
permissions should not be a problem.

Note that the database does have a password on it (which I need to
change and don't yet know how, but that's another issue). When I use
psql to access the database manually, I am prompted for a password; but
pg_dump does not prompt me for the password, even if I add the "-W"
parameter to force it. Could this have something to do with the problem?

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>