trouble setting up vsftpd on FC3 (tcp_wrappers?)

Chuckles phlebas at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 14 15:46:33 UTC 2005

	I have been away from Linux for quite a while and have started messing
with it again in the last few days (was my primary OS for a while back
in the 2.0-2.2 kernel days).  I had a FC1 install on an old laptop
(gateway solo PII 366 w/256MB) that I had been toying with some months
back.

	Last weekend I fired it up, updated it via yum, allowed ftp in
firewall, added "in.ftpd: <client ip>" to /etc/hosts.allow, started
vsftpd up and viola it worked like a charm.  I backed up some files to
another box via ftp then shut it down and proceeded to do a fresh
install of FC3.

	FC3 is now on and fully updated but getting vsftpd working again to
move those files back has become a major headache for me (I'm very rusty
Linux wise...  not that I was every anything but a luser).  I'm
wondering if anyone with a working 'standalone mode' vsftpd with
tcp_wrappers enabled would post a short list of the steps to get it
working (at this point I can't even get a connection to it from
localhost without turning off tcp_wrappers in vsftpd.conf).  Even with
"ALL: LOCAL" in /etc/hosts.allow localhost can't connect.  Error:  "421
service not available."

	I added the ftp firewall entry, I have tried every variation I can
think of of /etc/hosts.allow entries for ftp (though it should work for
localhost at least with "ALL: LOCAL" shouldn't it?), started vsftpd, and
nada.  Since it works with tcp_wrappers disabled I know I'm doing
something wrong/stupid re them.  I wish I still had FC1 around so I
could refer to its setup for vsftpd because it worked like a charm.  The
one thing I think I remember that seems to be different is that there is
no /etc/xinetd.d/vsftpd file present on FC3 (there is a sample in the
docs for vsftpd).  I wonder if that is required even when vsftpd is run
standalone?  Note: I copied the sample xinetd config for vsftpd in the
vsftpd docs dir to /etc/xinetd.d/vsftpd leaving 'disabled=' set to 'yes'
and still no go.

	I'm feeling very frustrated and stupid here...

--
Chuckles <phlebas at earthlink.net>
Life Sucks!  Then You DIE!!!