FC3 - I'm anything but dissapointed

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Fri Jan 14 16:44:04 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-14-01 at 05:06 +0100, Markus Huber wrote:
> Jim Cornette wrote:
>
> > I'm still using gnome. KDE does look acceptable.
>
> Same here, but I still prefer gnome (just looks better), although there
> are fine KDE-apps.
>
> What still buffles me is the handling of Windows Networks. I switch off
> firewall as stated in the Release Notes, but I cannot access the shares
> I have access to through nautilus, only throug Konquerer in
> filecommander mode. samba.conf is of course the same ;-) Strange.
>
> Regards
> Markus Huber
I have the firewall running and access our Samba Server with out
any problems but I setup an /etc/fstab entry :

//asgard/public /mnt/public smbfs \
noauto,user,credentials=/home/guy/.credentials,\
port=139,gid=500,uid=500 0 0

Note: The port=139 is required for servers that are SMB not CIFS.

The only trick is you need to do as root is :

chmod u+s /usr/bin/smbmnt

I set myself as the owner of /mnt/public and the .credentials
file is :

---start---
username = winuser
password = winpass
---end---

Doing it this way you don't have to copy files to your hard
drive to open them.

Hope this helps.