kernel sse3 detection?

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 14 17:37:16 UTC 2005

Jurgen Kramer wrote:
> Should the current Linux kernel be able to detect SSE3? A
> cat /proc/cpuinfo doesn't show it:
<snip>
> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
> mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm
> pni monitor ds_cpl cid xtpr

Um. SSE3 came in with the version of the Pentium 4 that was code-named
Prescott, and SSE3 was codenamed Prescott New Instructions, or PNI. That
"pni" comes in about the right place in the list, although I can't at a
quick Google / source code check find any official confirmation...

James.

--
E-mail address: james | ... a sign carefully conveying in pictograms the fact
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | that you should not leave wheelchairs on a certain