FC3 - i'm disapointed

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Jan 14 17:44:56 UTC 2005

Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 11:14 -0500, Kiryl Hakhovich wrote:
>>Example NetworkManager - WTF!? when it's running FC3 hardly get's IP
>>address. after you stop it - it's all cool. This kind of little things
>>are all over the place.
>>

> IIRC NetworkManager is a 3rd party package.  You certainly cannot blame
> Fedora for problems with other packages.

$ rpm -qip NetworkManager-0.3.3-1.cvs20050112.1.fc3.i386.rpm
Name        : NetworkManager               Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version     : 0.3.3                             Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 1.cvs20050112.1.fc3           Build Date: Wed 12 Jan 2005
21:47:31 GMT
Install Date: (not installed)               Build Host:
tweety.build.redhat.com
Group       : System Environment/Base       Source RPM:
NetworkManager-0.3.3-1.cvs20050112.1.fc3.src.rpm
Size        : 339077                           License: GPL
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Wed 12 Jan 2005 21:52:28 GMT, Key ID
b44269d04f2a6fd2
Packager    : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
URL         : http://people.redhat.com/dcbw/NetworkManager/
Summary     : Network link manager and user applications
Description :
NetworkManager attempts to keep an active network connection available
at all times.  It is intended only for the desktop use-case, and is not
intended for usage on servers.   The point of NetworkManager is to make
networking configuration and setup as painless and automatic as
possible.  If using DHCP, NetworkManager is _intended_ to replace
default routes, obtain IP addresses from a DHCP server, and change
nameservers whenever it sees fit.

NetworkManager is part of Fedora Core and appears to be developed by a
Red Hat engineer.

Coming back to the OP's comments, IMHO FC3 is the best Linux distro I
have ever used in terms of functionality and lack of problems. I am very
happy with it and certainly find it better than either FC1 or FC2.

Paul.