DoveCot vs Cyrus-Imapd Performance

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri Jan 14 17:42:26 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 09:09, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
> > No exactly.  It's more that
> > 1) Cyrus doesn't integrate closely with unix/linux user accounts which
> > may or may not be a good thing.  If you are an ISP providing email only
> > you may want that.  If you are an office providing file/ftp/print, etc.
> > services for all the same users you may double your setup work per user.
>
> Have you read anything from one of my previous mails?  Cyrus integrates
> with unix/linux user accounts just fine.  Should you choose to use it
> that way.  The default Fedora RPM config is to use unix/linux accounts
> (/etc/shadow file, to be more precise) for authentication.

Yes, I've read it and appreciate the detail.  However, it just doesn't
apply to my situation or what I think is typical for an office setting
where creating an account/password is a small part of user
administration. If you apply disk quotas, a Maildir under their home
directory is automatically included.  A Cyrus mailbox is another step.
Backing up the home directories will include their mail folders.  Cyrus
mailboxes will be somewhere else.  Deleting a user account and home
directory also removes their Maildir mailbox. Removing a Cyrus mailbox
is a separate step.  When you replace the server, Maildirs come along
with the other contents of home directories.  And there's probably
more that I've missed.

> Forward and procmailrc files are Sendmail thing anyhow (or any other
> MTA).  IMAP server (Cyrus, Dovecot, whatever) do not have anything to do
> with it (they are all processed long before mail is passed towards
> mailbox (be it in "standard" Berkely format, maildir, Cyrus, or
> something else).

Again, it is a 'user management' issue.  There are things that have
been running for years here out of procmail scripts. If the default
configuration for Cyrus doesn't keep them running, then it doesn't
help to talk about how easy the install is.

> If you want to continue using procmailrc files, simply keep procmail as
> your local mailer.  The only difference is that you'll have to use
> deliver program from within procmailrc (as of this writing procmail
> can't write directly into the Cyrus mail store).  Since default for
> procmail mailer is that local user accounts exist, forward files will be
> honored by Sendmail by default in this case.  Yet again, this is
> Sendmail issue.

It is an administrator vs.user issue, not specific to any program.  If
you had existing users with .procmailrc files would you fix them,
let them break, or continue running something that just keeps working
as expected?

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com