FC3 - i'm disapointed

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Fri Jan 14 18:55:01 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 11:50 -0600, O'Neill, Donald (US - Deerfield)
wrote:
> IIRC NetworkManager is a 3rd party package.  You certainly cannot blame
> Fedora for problems with other packages.

Nope, NetworkManager is part of Fedora Core. Really, the problem is
simply that it is a new package with new capabilities. It's young, and
"not quite there yet" for some people, including myself... it simply
won't work properly on my Thinkpad and on my combination of networks.

However, it is also only fair to say that development speed on this
package has been astonishing, and that it has come very far very
quickly. I fully expect it to be a much more mature and trouble-free
part of FC4... for now, it's having some growing pains.

*That* is part of Fedora's philosophy... to accept a little growing
pains in order to help provide genuinely new and genuinely useful pieces
of technology or user interface to the Linux community.

Network Manager can easily be disabled and/or removed, and one can work
with the tools available as of FC2 and earlier with no harm done. So
those who don't like NM's youth and rough edges do not have to endure
them, and furthermore will have lost nothing.

The rest of us will, hopefully, help provide feedback to make NM a
little more mature and useful as quickly as possible.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>