DoveCot vs Cyrus-Imapd Performance

Kevin Fries kevin at hcico.com
Sat Jan 15 00:01:31 UTC 2005

Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:

| 700 users is nothing.  You will not see any problems with
| scalability with that user base.  Multiply it by 100, and you'll
| start seening first problems.  Go past 100,000, and things get
| preaty tight.
|
| Before my wife talked me into moving to Canada (and out of all the
| warm places in Canada, Winnipeg was our destination), I've used to
| work for large national ISP where user's were stored in actual
| /etc/passwd.  Mail server worked well until user base got to about
| 50,000 users on 4-CPU Alpha Server running Tru64 Unix (and later
| cluster of several Alpha Servers).  Then, Internet boom hapened, and
| user base exploded.  Things started to slow down drastically with
| each new user.  Local system accounts proved not to be very scalable
| solution.  In those days, there were no out-of-box solutions based
| on LDAP, like there are today.  So what we did back than, we moved
| all users from shell accounts into Oracle database, and made patches
| for sendmail, procmail, and qpopper to work with users that exist
| only as records inside Oracle SQL database. That same 4-CPU Alpha
| Server that was beginning to be painfully slow, all the sudden was
| capable of hosting several milion mailboxes.  Now, that is what I
| have in mind when I say scalability.
|
| If we were to do it again today, we'd probably simply use LDAP and
| Cyrus, with little development time spent for transition.

You are trying to do 70,000 account on one server?  Are you f-ing nuts!!!!

That is what clusters are for!  Then, the standard directory structure
of Dovecot becomes an even better idea.

This conversation has just gotten stupid, one server for 70,000
account, you just are not dealing with a normal situation.  The
majority of companies (greater than 70%) are less than 100 people
large.  The majority of corporations will never get that large because
they will use a server in front to direct the mail to the remote
offices local mail server where 5k-10k is considered huge.  To follow
your logic we should all have NASA space shuttles because a small
percentage of us go into space.

This is just silly.  I would put Dovecot up even at a large
university.  You are talking about AOL type numbers which is just
craziness.

I think I will start contributing to more sane conversations from here
on out!

100,000+ as normal, and on one server! lmao

Kevin Fries

Kevin Fries