Why do I need mDNSResponder/howl?

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 04:35:29 UTC 2005

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 21:04:35 -0600, Aleksandar Milivojevic
<amilivojevic at pbl.ca> wrote:
> Quoting Randy <toucan at tropicalrain.us>
> Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 19:04:49
>
> > I hope it's gone in FC4.
>
> It probably won't be gone in FC4, however I hope that it will be possible to
> deinstall it.  In FC3, there is so much stuff that directly or indirectly
> depends on howl package, that it should really be considered as bug (and filed
> on bugzilla).  I've just run "yum remove howl" on my newly installed laptop, and
> among other things that would need to be removed to satisfy dependencies are
> gnome-panel, openoffice, firefox, thunderbird, gimp, and list is still
> growing...  It's almost impossible to cleanly remove from desktop system
> (without forcing, and braking dependencies).  Most of those packages are
> probably tied to the fact that gnome-vfs2 depends on howl-libs (a dependency
> that I hope will be removed in updated gnome-vfs2 package for FC3, and not
> present in FC4 at all).
>
> --
> Aleksandar Milivojevic <amilivojevic at pbl.ca>    Pollard Banknote Limited

Strange? On my system nothing depends on howl-libs.  Here's what rpm has to say:

$ rpm -q howl
howl-0.9.6-6
$ rpm -q --whatrequires howl
howl-libs-0.9.6-6
$ rpm -q --whatrequires howl-libs-0.9.6-6
no package requires howl-libs-0.9.6-6

What version of howl do you have?  From where did you obtain it?

-- Kam