Why do I need mDNSResponder/howl?

Rahul Sundaram rahulsundaram at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 12:18:32 UTC 2005

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 21:04:35 -0600, Aleksandar Milivojevic
<amilivojevic at pbl.ca> wrote:
> Quoting Randy <toucan at tropicalrain.us>
> Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 19:04:49
>
> > I hope it's gone in FC4.

no. it wont be gone. its offers a useful desktop service . if you have
bugs regarding this you need to file them rather than trying to get
rid of it altogether for all future releases

> It probably won't be gone in FC4, however I hope that it will be possible to
> deinstall it.  In FC3, there is so much stuff that directly or indirectly
> depends on howl package, that it should really be considered as bug (and filed
> on bugzilla).

gnome uses it to do automatic network discovery. It shouldnt be
removed because it has become a basic library and yes kde 3.4 will
have the exact same feature using the apple library which hasnt been
relicensed to bsd from the original free but gpl incompatible apple
license. if you consider that bloat then you need to move on the
something like xfce or fluxbox. stopping progress because you are
freaking about controlling each and every library installed in your
system isnt going to help

--
Regards,
Rahul Sundaram