Foolproofing Fedora

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sat Jan 15 12:59:03 UTC 2005

On 01/15/2005 04:50:17 AM, Ryan Turner wrote:

> Specifically, I'm seeking for help with a two things:
> I want to remove the Red Hat Network update icon in
> the system tray; and run up2date from a cron job.

It would be better to enable yum to run as a service imho. Somewhere
there is a control panel for enabling that.

> Secondly, I'd like to modify what appears in the
> Applications menu (in Gnome).  Some of the things
> listed there are totally extraneous for new Linux
> users.  I'd like to simplify the interface so that
> Applications she needs will stick out, so she won't
> have to go hunting for them.

Make the bottom panel big and add application launchers to it.
That's what I do - the apps I commonly use are all right there.

> Finally, as a bonus, is it possible to remove the
> "Open Terminal" command from when you right-click on
> the gnome desktop?  Though I didn't like Linspire
> myself, I was amazed at how well they "protected"
> completely ignorant users from the power of the
> terminal.

Why?
If she wants to use the terminal, let her. If not, she can close the
window if she opens one by mistake.