Foolproofing Fedora

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sat Jan 15 16:31:33 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-15 at 06:50, Ryan Turner wrote:

> Secondly, I'd like to modify what appears in the
> Applications menu (in Gnome).  Some of the things
> listed there are totally extraneous for new Linux
> users.  I'd like to simplify the interface so that
> Applications she needs will stick out, so she won't
> have to go hunting for them.

If there are only a few, just drag them off the
menus and drop on the desktop.  You'll get nice
large icons in the launcher that is automatically
created.  If you want several, or several categories
you can put them in folders on the desktop to group
them.  Then you can change the default session to
IceWM and Nautilus running in the background will
let you use the launchers with a nice simple look
and feel.  If you stick to Gnome, you also have the
option of dragging the icons to the task bar or
into drawers you've made there.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com