the latest recipe for installing java?

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Sat Jan 15 22:08:12 UTC 2005

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>  historically, i've always installed java by grabbing the appropriate
> package from sun's download area.  but in FC3, i see this
> java-1.4.2-gcj-compat package, which is supported through the
> "alternatives" feature.
>
>  if i want the full SDK, do i still install java as i always have?
> does this gcj package cause any conflict?  should i remove it?  should
> i ignore it?

Java is best handled these days with the JPackage repository
(www.jpackage.org).  There are two ways to install Sun's Java.  The easy
way is to install Sun's 1.4.2 RPM and the JPackage java-1.4.2-sun-compat
package.  Then you can use alternatives to select the Java you want.
(Installing this RPM will make Sun java the default, I believe.)

The better way is to grab one of Sun's .bin files (not the RPMs) and use
it to build JPackage's java-1.4.2-sun or java-1.5.0-sun nosource RPMs.
Then you can use alternatives to select the Java you want.  (Installing
this RPM will make Sun java the default, I believe.)  There are
instructions for building these non-free RPMs at JPackage.

Be sure to get the latest jpackage-utils-1.6.2-1jpp from Jpackage before
starting.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences