FC3 and ThinkPad T41 - current and prior kernels and other problems.

Chris Ruprecht chrisr at ruprecht.org
Sat Jan 15 23:07:49 UTC 2005

Hi Harry,

On Sat, 2005-01-15 at 15:37 -0500, Harry Hoffman wrote:
> Chris,
>
> I also run a T41 without any problems. Here are the specs:
>
> T41 => 2373-9FU
> 1.7Ghz CPU
> 60GB 7200RPM drive 1.5GB ram

Model = 2373-7FU
1.6 GHz
40 GB 5400 RPM Drive (as far as I know about the RPM)
1 GB RAM (SODIMM PC2100)

> running kernel: 2.6.10-1.737_FC3

kernel 2.6.9-1.724_FC3 is running with 'few' problems.
kernel 2.6.9-1.681_FC3 used to run with almost no problems.

I tried the 2.6.10 kernels (build 737 and 741) and am not running very
successful. 737 would panic during boot up when it detected the SCSI
card (Adaptec SlimSCSI-1480 Cardbus card). After removing that as well
as the Belkin FireWire Cardbbus card, it still crashed - so I don't
think it's the card(s).

I have the internal IPW2100 card up and running so I can sit in theiving
room and watch TV while using the machine ;) - in 11 mbit mode801.11b,
not g).

The only other piece of extra hardware is a Logitech USB optical mouse.

Here is a listing of enabled services:
K01yum             K50netdump          S09isdn           S54hpoj
K02NetworkManager  K50snmpd            S09pcmcia         S55cups
K05saslauthd       K50snmptrapd        S10network        S55sshd
K10dc_server       K50tux              S12syslog         S56xinetd
K10psacct          K50vsftpd           S13irqbalance     S58ntpd
K10radiusd         K54dovecot          S13portmap        S80sendmail
K12dc_client       K61ldap             S14nfslock        S85gpm
K15httpd           K73ypbind           S18rpcgssd        S90crond
K20nfs             K74nscd             S19rpcidmapd      S90vmware24irda
K85mdmpd            S19rpcsvcgssd     S90xfs
K25squid           K89netplugd         S25netfs          S95anacron
K30spamassassin    K90bluetooth        S26apmd           S95atd
K35smb             K92iptables         s26lm_sensors     S96readahead
K35vncserver       K94diskdump         S28autofs         S97messagebus
K35winbind         K99microcode_ctl    S33nifd           S97rhnsd
K36lisa            S04readahead_early  S34mDNSResponder  S98cups-config-
daemon
K36postgresql      S05kudzu            S40smartd         S98haldaemon
K45named           S06cpuspeed         S44acpid          S99local

I'm not sure, how much trouble VMWare is - it's telling me when I start
it up, that it hasn't been certified on this kernel.

Thanks for any help...

--
chris ruprecht - network grunt and bit pusher extraordinaíre