Could Someone Explain the Dovecot Issue?

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sun Jan 16 15:25:36 UTC 2005

Am So, den 16.01.2005 schrieb David Cary Hart um 15:57:

> I awoke this morning to find that our server would not allow access to
> my mailbox. Coffee, Google and MUCH more coffee with an SSH chaser and I
> got it fixed by adding "mail_extra_groups = mail" to dovecot.conf.
>
> That said, what did this do, what did it fix and why did this
> (presumably) emerge with an update?

Please see "2. dovecot.conf should default to fcntl locking" in

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2005-January/msg00582.html

Something obviously went wrong with the dovecot update (unfortunately no
announce mail available for this package).

"mail_extra_groups = mail" works because

$ ls -ld /var/spool/mail/ /var/spool/mail/adalloz
drwxrwxr-x  3 root    mail     4096 16. Jan 14:55 /var/spool/mail/
-rw-rw----  1 adalloz mail 11036600 16. Jan 13:18
/var/spool/mail/adalloz

system account mail group owns the mail spool and the users' mbox files.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.10-1.9_FC2smp
Serendipity 16:22:22 up 1 day, 23:44, load average: 0.46, 0.41, 0.36