How to get packages not supplied by Fedora

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 16:56:30 UTC 2005

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 17:49:13 -0700, Kevin Fries <kevin at hcico.com> wrote:

> Mark Knecht wrote:
>
> |Hi,
> |   Being sort of new to Fedora I'm not clear about how to augment
> |their up2date/yum environment with locations that supply RPMs that
> |they don't supply. (mp3 playback or mplayer, for instance.)
> |
> |   Is there any sort of common document on how to make the envionment
> |more complete, andhow to make updates a bit easier to do? (I.e. -
> |other tools like Synaptic, etc. and places to point them.)
>
> I had lots of trouble with up2date.  It appears that every time I
> would connect, it would redirect me to a random mirror.  I never could
> figure out if it was my configuration, or just the way it works, but
> eventually I would always get hosed when some mirror was out of sync.
>
> Instead, I installed the apt package from dag.wieers.com.  I comes
> pre-configured with all that you are looking for.  Since you are new
> to Linux, you may also feel most comfortable using the synaptic tool
> for software management.
>
> If you decide to go this way:
>
> # rpm -ivh
> http://dag.wieers.com/packages/apt/apt-0.5.15cnc6-4.1.fc3.rf.i386.rpm
> # apt-get update
> # apt-get install synaptic
>
> This should set your repositories to a good mixture.  If you want to
> add any other apt repositories, simply create a new file in
> /etc/apt/sources.d using any of the files in there as a model.

Kevin,
   Actually I'm already familiar with apt and Synaptic and like using
them a lot. I have an FC2 audio machine I use for recording studio
work that's outfitted with the PlanetCCRMA flow (a version of FC2)
that uses apt and Synaptic. Using the tools that are already installed
on that machine in a more general way is very preferable to me.

   That said I don't want to install  new apt version over the top of
what the Planet flow already gives me. I think it would be better if I
just added the correct lines to /etc/apt/sources.list. (and apt.conf
if necessary) Is there a source for what lines need to be added to my
existing files to get access to the same repositories this RPM gives
you?

   As for my wife's FC3 machine I am going to try and set this up today.

Thanks!

- Mark