udev safe to use with FC2?

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.msbb.uc.edu
Sun Jan 16 18:10:35 UTC 2005

Rahul,
   My understanding was that udev wouldn't effect any existing hotplugging
in FC2 but just create the /udev directory. Since the latest kernel seems
to have broken the hotplugging of USB memory keys, I planned on installing
the udev rpm under FC2 and then creating /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules
with the following rule for my Lexar JumpDrive secure...

BUS="USB", SYSFS{product}="JUMPDRIVE SECURE", KERNEL="sd*1", NAME="lexar-jd-usb"
...coupled with an fstab entry of...

/dev/lexar-jd-usb       /mnt/lexar              auto    rw,user,noauto  0 0

...to allow the Computer folder in the Gnome desktop to have a mountable
device entry again when the Lexar usb key is inserted.
   My only concern is that installation of udev won't disturb the existing
/dev directory in FC2 (without additional entries into /etc/udev). While I
could upgrade to FC3, according to Infoworld...

http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/01/14/Hnredhatupdate_1.html

...we are only a month away from RHEL4's release so I'll probably wait for
that. In the meanwhile I am hoping udev can get me back my Desktop memory
key access.
            Jack