Nervious wannabe new user asks for advice.

Tony Dietrich td at transoft.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 16 18:23:06 UTC 2005

On Sunday 16 Jan 2005 16:20, RoboticGolem wrote:
<snip>
> > As to the ADSL modem, the reason I asked if anyone had
> > experience with it was mainly due to the fact that
> > along with the drivers there comes the connection
> > software to enter the neccessary to connect to my ISP.
> > I wanted to know if that is still in a linux based
> > driver for it.As one replier pointed out it is a USB
> > modem. Buying another is not an option as I don't have
> > the money for that.

Check the documentation for your modem ... most ADSL modems run a stripped
down version of a web-browser that you can connect to when the modem is
plugged into the host machine.  This interface allows you to setup the modem
with the neccessary setting to connect to your ISP.  The real problem after
that is finding out the right settings!
However, you mention that you have a Windows system still .. so cheat!
The modem should retain the connection settings even after a power-off, so
connect it to your Windows machine, run the disk your ISP supplied, then plug
the modem into your Linux machine.
Linux *should* see the modem.  Demon Internet in the UK supply a similar
modem, and their tech dept. *claim* that it is compatible with Linux,
although I needed a multi-port ethernet modem, so chose the self-install
route.
--
Tony Dietrich