Ethernet Device Static vs Automatically

craig-fcp no-reply-gw at fcp.homelinux.org
Sun Jan 16 19:12:00 UTC 2005

settings via the gnome gui
lastest updates to fc3 installed

I'm having a lot of trouble getting anything with the Samba installation to work. During the course of trying various setting I'm not clear on how the static vs the automatically obtained DHCP is setting in the menus offered is fulfilled.

Selecting:
System Tools - Newwork Device Control - Network Configuration (menu) - Edit; selects the current hardware checked unit selected under the Device tab and a window menu Ethernet Device with 3 tabs  General, Route, Hardware Device
Under the General tab:
One has the choice of selecting either
( ) Automatically obtained IP address setting [dhcp]
or
( ) Statically set IP address
Suppose I want to set it to the Static setting
I complete the following fields with the appropriate address
Address: 192.168.1.101 (which is available from my linksys router
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.1.1

Then I select the Route tab
What's this for? It seems to be asking for the same information. I've completed this with the same info I made for static on the General Tab - Static setting. With or without this field setting on the Route tab page doesn't seem to make any difference in the performance as far as I can tell.

What's the Route tab info needed for and what info should I be using?

--
This is an email sent via the webforum on http://fcp.homelinux.org