Can't get Optra S printer recognized or working.

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Jan 17 01:12:34 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-16 at 17:32 -0700, Kim Lux wrote:
> I'm trying to connect a Lexmark Optra S printer to a server.  The Optra
> S is a parallel port laser printer.  It uses an IEEE1284 cable and is
> accessible in nibble/byte/ECP mode.
>
> I've purchased a new IEEE1284 printer cable.  On the server I've set the
> port to ECP/EPP.  I can't get kudzu to recognize the printer.  I can't
> get printer-gui to find it either.
>
> I've gotten it to work on my laptop, but I think that is because the
> printer was configured to work with it a few months back.
>
> Any ideas on how to get the printer recognized by the server ?  Is there
> a way to get the parallel port to scan for devices in ECP mode ?
>
> The server is running FC3 with all the updates.

I have an HP Laserjet 4plus that works off the parallel port.
The system-config-printer gui does not automatically see it either.
I just created a printer definition with the port specified as /dev/lp0
and the proper print driver.  It then worked.

There is no need to scan the port.  Parallel and serial devices are not
normally detected by kudzu, either at connection time or when
disconnected.  In fact AFAIK most hot plug managers do not see these
type devices.

An easy way to test the functionality of the port/printer would be to
simply copy a text file to the printer and see if it is received.
  # cat /etc/fstab > /dev/lp0
Will send that short and simple text file to the printer, and if it is
received then you know your connection is working and all you have to do
is get the printer driver set up properly