FC3 2.6.10 Install Without Floppy or NIC

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Jan 17 02:37:59 UTC 2005

Ryan D'Baisse wrote:
> Okay, without going into a ton of detail, here are the facts...
>
> 1. I cannot boot the 2.6.9 kernel on my laptop unless I disable ACPI;
> 2. If I disable ACPI, my NIC stops functioning;
> 3. I CAN boot the 2.6.10 kernel on my laptop without disabling anything;
> 4. I want to do a clean install of FC3;
> 5. I do not have a floppy drive (forgot why I am mentioning that);
> 6. I have all of the FC3 CDs burned and ready; and,
> 7. I downloaded the entire "update" directory and have 2.6.10 on that CD.
>
> Now the question...
>
> What the heck do I do now!?!?!?  =(
>
> If I install FC3, I will have to disable ACPI to get it to complete the
> install.  Rumor has it that, if I disable ACPI during the install, that
> it will not be available when I install the new kernel.
>
> Please help end the confusion.
>
> Thanx,
> Ryan

You should just have to remove the entry from the grub.conf file. ACPI
should then again work when installed from the updates CD that you
downloaded.

If you mount the CD and change to the directory with the kernel
rpm -ivh ker*.rpm
should install the new kernel and leave the older version behind. You
would leave the acpi=off in the old kernel and remove it from the new
kernel stanza.

Alternatively, you could add a local directory to the
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources as in the example below. If using the GUI
version of up2date, uncheck the fedora repositories and only have the
my-cdrom-rpms repository checked. Once you run up2date, it should
install the newer versions from your local directory.

### A local directory full of packages (a "dir" repo). For example:
dir my-cdrom-rpms /media/cdrecorder
(add any subdirectory that you stored the rpms to.)

If you do the adding the local directory method, you will have to run
rpm --import /usr/share/doc/fedora-release-3/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora
before you try to install/upgrade via the local directory or on-line.

Jim

--
"THIS time it really is fixed. I mean, how many times can we
  get it wrong? At some point, we just have to run out of really

	- Linus Torvalds"