networking between fedora and macos

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Jan 17 07:56:54 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-16 at 22:13 -0400, Trevor Smith wrote:
> On 16-Jan-05, at 1:53 PM, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
>
> > look at nfs or smb, the mac can do either as can your linux box. nfs
> > your generally wantto secure in someway when running it in a public
> > environment such as tunneling it over ssh.
>
> Thanks for the help (all). I can't figure out how to connect via smb or
> nfs so I gave up and used the 'fugu' application (a front end for
> sftp/scp) to drag things from one laptop to the other.
>
> It's bizarre how much difficulty I've had with samba and nfs over the
> past year. I've taken a few stabs at it but no matter where I look I've
> never been able to find directions that actually accomplished any
> actual sharing.
----
Samba isn't that hard IF you fully understand Microsoft Windows
networking. For those who don't understand Microsoft Windows networking,
it seems to be too much.

NFS is actually really easy.
The 'server' has to export and the 'client' has to mount.
'man exports' 'man fstab'
for example at my house...
My server...
#cat /etc/exports
/home   (insecure,no_root_squash,rw)
My workstation-entry in /etc/fstab
FQDN_OF_MY_SERVER:/home  /home/linuxserver  nfs  user  0  0

Macintosh OSX seems to put disc's in /Volumes so if I were mounting on
Macintosh - I haven't done this so I'm speculating...
FQDN_OF_MY_SERVER:/home /Volumes/linuxserver nfs user 0 0
of course, you would have to 'mkdir /Volumes/linuxserver' first.

Craig