How to see number of pci-slots

Alexander Apprich a.apprich at science-computing.de
Mon Jan 17 11:01:55 UTC 2005

Kam Leo wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:01:16 +0100, Alexander Apprich
> <a.apprich at science-computing.de> wrote:
>

>>Roger Grosswiler wrote:

>>>Hi Alex,
>>>
>>>Thanks a lot, nice to see you alive ;-)
>>
>>to be a lil more specific
>>
>>    apprich at elmstreet bin $ sudo dmidecode | grep PCI | wc -l
>>    6
>>

>>>Roger
>>>

>>Alex
>>

> Is the result correct?  Here's what I get on my system with an ASUS
> SP97-V motherboard:
>
> # dmidecode | grep PCI | wc -l
> 9
>
> No way is that correct.  I had to change the filter for grep to get
> the correct count.
>
> # dmidecode | grep "PCI Slot" | wc -l
> 4

well, you're (partially) right. It depends on the version of dmidecode.
In my case dmidecode was right. With a "newer" version

    root at elmstreet / # dmidecode | grep PCI | wc -l
    7
    root at elmstreet / # dmidecode | grep PCI
                         PCI is supported
                 Type: 32-bit PCI
                 Type: 32-bit PCI
                 Type: 32-bit PCI
                 Type: 32-bit PCI
                 Type: 32-bit PCI
                 Type: 32-bit PCI

With the version you have it's obviously somthing different.

> So even if I changed the filter to "Slot"  the results would not be
> that useful.  The ASUS SP97-V MB has 4 PCI and 3 ISA slots, but only 6
> openings.  One opening is shared.  The information dmidecode provides
> is useful but incomplete.  dmicode cannot determine if an ISA slot is
> occupied.  Even if you have a new motherboard with all PCI slots the
> data provided would not tell you that an installed card is oversize
> and requires an adjacent slot or that an opening is used for an I/O
> panel.  You are still going to need to use keep track of what is
> installed.

What is the output of dmidecode on your system. Could you send me
the output (maybe off-list)?

Alex